Monday, June 23, 2014

Friday Night Hike Club: The Salt Lake Overlook

Last Friday, we finished up our work day and headed up Millcreek Canyon to do a little hiking. We were pretty done for after a long week, and Harper was with us, so we didn't want to do anything too difficult. We decided to go to the Salt Lake Overlook. Roundtrip, the hike was about 3.5 miles. It wasn't too steep or rocky and there was a lot of shade and a nice mountain breeze to keep us cool. Basically, it was perfect- just what we needed to end a crazy and tiring week.

I think the thing I like most about hiking is that all of my favorite people (well, almost all of them) like it, too, and even more so, they like doing it together. I'm really glad to share this little hobby with Colt, Harper, and Whitney (and this time around, Julie).

Hiking up Millcreek is a really great experience. It's so green, the trails are soft and relatively easy, and the air is crisp and cool- it almost makes you believe you're not in Utah anymore, like you drove up the canyon and wound up in Oregon or something. It's refreshing and I really love it.

Harps insisted on bringing Julie. At first, I was against the idea because I didn't think Harper would be into carrying her for more than a few minutes. She actually surprised me by holding her or letting her ride on her shoulders for a lot of the hike. 

When she wasn't with Harper, Julie hitched a ride in one of our backpacks. Luckily, she's light. I don't enjoy having any unnecessary weight in my pack (I'm a wussypants, there's no doubt about it). Colt, on the other hand, is always trying to add weight to his backpack (that's how he gets in shape for hunting season).


Whit and Harper found a little lizard at the top of the trail and Colt did his best to catch it so that they could have a closer look. The little guy was too quick, though, and got away before Colt could grab him.

I am quite proud of Harper. She is a much better hiker than I would have ever been at her age. She doesn't complain or whine. She welcomes the experience and takes in everything she can and talks our ears off while she does it.

The lighting wasn't optimal so you can't really tell from these photos but the views from the top of the trail were stunning. This overlook would be the perfect place to watch a sunset.











Harper wanted to collect some leaves for leaf rubs. We did them last fall in preschool and she really got into the whole process. I love that Harper is so interested in art and creating. It's something about her that didn't come from either Colt or me. It's just her thing and, having grown up as a pianist and singer in a house with the two least musical people on the planet, I can appreciate that.

Now we just need to choose a place for this week's hike. Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!