Thursday, August 29, 2013

Horseback Riding with Harper

I think I knew deep down when I added "Take Harper horseback riding" to my 2013 Bucket List that there was more to it than just seeing Harper in a saddle. You see, the horses that I intended for her to ride are my birth father's horses. My birth father is a true blue cowboy. He doesn't just wear his boots to the rodeo (which is something I'm totally guilty of). He wears them, along with his hat, every single day. He trains and shoes horses for a living and his business card reads "Cowbow Dave." True story.

I know that I inherited a love of riding from him. I remember riding with him when I was small and I've missed having that chance for many, many years. In honesty, I've missed Cowboy Dave, too.

My dad (Jack, my adopted father) is my hero and is one of the few people that I love more than life itself. Jack is my dad. He raised me (not an easy task) and has loved and supported me in all things, good and bad. Nobody could ever replace his spot in my life and my heart. Nobody.

Still, Cowboy Dave is my birth father. He's also my adopted mom's brother, making him my uncle on top of everything else. I see a lot of me in him and I've always cared for him. I'd like him to be a bigger part of mine and Harper's lives. I'm pretty sure my subconscious knew this when it prompted me to add horseback riding to my list of things to do with Harper this year.

I've put off calling him all summer because I felt nervous and shy. Finally, I did it. I picked up the phone and called. I couldn't be more glad that I did. Harper and I spent last Saturday with him and his wife. We had a great time. Harper is a natural on in the saddle (I'm sure it's in her blood too) and insisted on riding alone AND taking the reins after only a few minutes with Magic, the roan gelding that David chose for her.

Important words were said. Memories were made. It was an amazing, and much needed day, for Harper and I both.

I know that I speak for her, too, when I say that I can't wait to visit Cowboy Dave again.






Harper insisted on feeding Magic a carrot and two apples. She also pitchforked his hay for him, just like a real cowgirl.

 



Harper has been asking to go back and ride Magic some more on a daily basis. We are thinking springtime riding lessons might be in order.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I miss riding Uncle Dave's horses at the reunions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl after my own heart! What a fun day. I loved your photo of the pile of horseshoes.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!