Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cecret Lake and a Weekend Wrap Up

I've written before about my necessities- about the things that I need in order to feel whole and sane. They are simple things to most, but for me, they are necessary. My necessities include reading, piano, singing, yoga, and hiking.

I enjoy reading, music, and yoga alone, for the most part. I mean, I read to Harper and sing with Harper and sit at the piano with Harper but those things are more for her than for me. I like the peace of mind that comes from a few hours at the piano or an afternoon buried in a book. I think that being an only child has helped me to appreciate, and even need, alone time.

Still, I don't like to be by myself all the time, which is why hiking is so good for me. Hiking is my one necessity that I like sharing with people, especially when those people are Colt and Harper.

On Sunday evening, the three of us hiked Cecret Lake, via the Albion Meadows Trail. We hadn't intended on taking the Meadow Trail because we didn't think Harper would enjoy a four mile round trip but when we got up the canyon, the Cecret Lake Trail parking lot was full, making the long way our only option. I'm so glad it happened that way because the Meadows Trail was a new experience for us (we hiked Cecret Lake a few times last year). It was really beautiful and we saw what had to be at least a million wildflowers. The trail itself was more of an inclined walk than a hike, which made it totally doable for Harper. Colt and I alternated carrying her a few times but she did the majority of the four miles herself without one word of complaint. I was really proud of her. Every day, she finds some way to amaze and delight me.





Harper insisted on stopping to read "the instructions."




The wildflowers along the Albion Meadows Trail were breathtaking- seriously like something from a dream. I was pretty obsessed with them and even let Harper break the law by picking a few. We are pressing them now and plan on using them for a project in a month or so.



This hike really was the perfect way to polish off the weekend, which was a good one by the way. Since this post already has plenty of photos, I'll give you a quick wrap up:

We had some people over for drinks and to play Corn Hole on Friday night. Have you guys played Corn Hole? It is seriously addicting.

On Saturday, we took Hazel to the groomer and got some things done around the house. Then Colt, Harper, and I took a drive over Guardsman Pass and had lunch at Squatters in Park City. That night, we went to the Draper Rodeo to see our friend Tyson in the wild cow milking contest. It was so fun. I love rodeos. We are going to The Days of '47 Rodeo on Saturday and I'm really excited.

On Sunday morning, Colt golfed while Harper and I cleaned the cars and went on a picnic (she was dying to get a minion toy from McDonald's). Then we came home and got ready for our hike.

And before I knew it, the weekend was over, leaving me exhausted and grateful for more good memories made. I really don't think there is anything better than a summer weekend with the people that I love most.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!