Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Beauty Aisle: Spring Routine

My beauty routine changes a bit with each season. Spring is really drying for my hair and skin and so I usually do more moisture masks and treatments. Spring is also a time when we are busy having fun outside. I find myself with less time for primping each day because really, I'd much rather be out in the sunshine with Harper and Colt than in my bathroom applying eyeshadow. 

Here are a few of the things that are part of my spring routine:

Coconut Oil/Moisture Masks: I already wrote this post about coconut oil. To say that I love the stuff would be an understatement. 

My skin gets really dry in the spring and I hate it. I've been using coconut oil as a moisture mask before showering. I wash my face and then apply a pretty generous amount of coconut oil to it about 10 minutes before showering. Then I wash it off in the shower. I have pretty dry skin so this is definitely a skin (and wallet) saver for me. 

I've tried other moisturizing masks. Burt's Bees Intense Hydration mask is a good one- you know I like anything that I can pick up from Target. I also love Origins Drink Up 10 Minute Moisturizer Mask. It's a few dollars more than the Burt's Bees one but, overall, it's a better product. It's not as thick and it leaves your face feeling really soft. I use it a couple of times a month on a year-round basis. I really love to use it after swimming or spending a lot of time in the sun. 
Olive Oil: My hair was really healthy this past winter so I cut back on the olive oil a bit. I've been doing it more lately, however, since my shorter hair requires more washing and drying. My hair isn't overly processed right now so I'm just putting it on my ends 20 minutes or so before showering.

Lipstick and Blush: I love lipstick and blush in the spring. I wear little to no eye makeup throughout spring and summer (hooray for coconut oil- it keeps my lashes longer and thicker so that mascara isn't a daily must). I like a clean, bright face in the warmer months. Always Apricot from the L'Oreal Infallible collection is my favorite lip color and I like any bright, pinky blush. 

Sunscreen: I wear sunscreen on my face every day of the year but use a lot more once spring hits and I start spending more time in the sun. I put it on my face, neck, hands, arms, and legs (if/when I'm wearing a skirt or shorts). I dislike the smell/feel of most sunscreens and absolutely hate when they get in my eyes and make them sting, which is why I use only Blue Lizard. It's fragrance free, it doesn't hurt your eyes, and is waterproof. It's also really moisturizing and feels more like a lotion than a greasy sunscreen. You can learn more about Blue Lizard here. It's a little pricey but well worth the money. 
If you don't go for Blue Lizard, go for another brand and use it daily. No tan is worth dryness, premature aging, and an increased risk of skin cancer. 

Self Tanner: I am very pale but feel like I generally look okay without a tan. There are times when I do want a little color (no need to blind Colt's family when we go boating, you know?), and I prefer to get it from a bottle. I have been using Jergens' Natural Glow for years and love it.  

That's about it, I think. I love spring and always feel a bit prettier when the sun is out. Don't you?

Does your beauty routine change in the spring? What are your favorite spring products?

If you're needing to stock up on products (and who isn't, really?), head on over here and enter my Much Love, Illy giveaway. You could win a $25 Target giftcard!

1 comment:

  1. just found you from much love illy! i love that lotion!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!