Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Beauty Aisle: Coconut Oil is My Best Friend


I love coconut oil. I cook with it because it's healthier and contains no animal products. I give it to our dogs on a daily basis. It keeps their skin/coats healthy, boosts their metabolism, and keeps stinky dog breath at bay.

I also have a jar of coconut oil in my bathroom cabinet because it has countless beauty benefits. I am quite obsessed with it because it is so versatile and so inexpensive. I use Spectrum Coconut Oil, which is around $8 for a 14-ounce jar. Also, it's scent free, which is wonderful for someone like me who doesn't like super smelly products.

Here are some of the ways that I use coconut oil:

~To repair split ends/unhealthy hair. You already know that I love olive oil for my hair. Truly, I haven't yet encountered a deep conditioner or hair treatment that leaves my hair as soft and healthy as olive oil. Coconut oil can be used much the same way. Warm a little bit up and apply it to your hair (ends or all over, whichever you prefer- I actually alternate) as a mask 20-30 minutes before you shower.

~To reduce the appearance of cellulite. Seriously. Rub coconut oil into your legs or bottom or anywhere you need it vigorously for about 30 seconds every day.

~To make your eyelashes healthier, and thus, longer and thicker. Apply to your lashes and lash line daily. I'd reccomend doing it at night, however, because it can make your mascara flaky.

~To soften cuticles.

~To repair dry skin. I use coconut oil on my elbows and feet every day.

~As an anti-aging mask. I apply coconut oil over my night cream two to three times a week. It's so moisturizing and makes my skin feel amazing, especially right now when the cold is really drying me out.

~To safely and effectively remove makeup. I love olive oil as a makeup remover because it does the job without stinging my eyes.

See what I mean? I'm sure that there are even more uses than the ones I've listed here(side note: coconut oil is one of your best choices for a lubricant, if you know what I mean... sorry if that's TMI but I thought I'd let you know that it's safer, scent free, and is actually beneficial because it can kill bacteria).

And you can get it at the grocery store. How awesome is that? Heaven knows that I dislike errands and never want to go to more places than I have to in order to get what I need. I can pick coconut oil up at any of the stores that I frequent. That, in and of itself, is amazing.

Do you use coconut oil as a beauty product? If so, what for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!