Friday, December 14, 2012

Today

I feel like, on days like today, things should stop a bit. I think that the world should slow down and take note. Pinterest and other frivolities should be put aside. Lunch photos and exclamation points should be saved for another day. Planned blog posts should be postponed in order to make room for mourning and reflection. I don't want to do anything today but hold Harper close to me. What happened in Connecticut this morning was awful and my heart is broken for those that were affected. I can't think about it without crying. I feel humbled. I feel inadequate. I feel afraid. I feel devastated.

More than ever, I feel grateful for my family- for a husband to love and a daughter to hold. I can't imagine a day without them. I don't know what I would do if I were to lose one of them and I hope that pray that I will never have to find out.

I had a post scheduled for today but am placing it on hold. Instead, I wanted to share a really good article on helping your children cope with tragic events. Child psychologist Alan Kazdin offers some really straightforward and useful advice here. If you are a parent, teacher, daycare provider, or you work with children in any way, you should definitely read it.

Much love, my friends.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. I don't want to be on facebook or pinterest - it just seems like it's not appropriate for such a somber day. I can't focus on anything, anyway, I just keeping about those poor families. And thank you for posting the link - one of the things I've been thinking about today is how I just don't want to have that conversation with my kiddos. It will be a good resource to use, and it will also help Adam at work. Thanks for this post; it's exactly what I was looking for on such a heartbreaking day - just knowing that someone else is feeling the same way I am.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!