Wednesday, August 8, 2012

This Summer is Awesome (photographic proof included)!

I feel like I've been a pretty lame blogger lately. This summer has just been so fun. Colt and I have been spending a lot of time together (which is something that we have really needed since pregnancy and parenting took over our lives not long after we started dating) and I've been reading as much as I possibly can and enjoying lots of adventures with Harper.

Basically, I've just been living and it's getting in the way of blogging. I'm not complaining, though, and I'm not apologizing. This has been my favorite summer ever.

Here is just a little bit of info (and a few instagrams) about what I've been up to:

My birthday- It was awesome and I learned a very valuable lesson about camping, perhaps the most important of all camping lessons: NEVER MAKE A S'MORE WITHOUT NUTELLA. There were other lessons to be learned as well: wine makes everything, even camping, feel classier... squirrels will steal your marshmallows, even when they are three times bigger than their own heads... and nearly everyone, even meat eaters, can enjoy a roasted veggie dog.

Playing with Harper- She starts gymnastics again tonight and we are both over-the-moon excited. We have also been hiking, snow coning (Harper now only eats "Mermaid" (aka blue raspberry/lemon lime mix) flavor, swimming (at Aunt Calli's house), shopping, walking, and zoo visiting. This summer with Harper has been nothing short of awesome. She is so curious and excited about everything we do, and I find that her excitement is really quite contagious.

Running- The half marathon is three months away and I'm training like crazy (advice in this area is always welcome- just comment or e-mail me). This is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done. Seriously. Learning and memorizing the Rachmaninoff 2nd Concerto would be easy in comparison. I'm committed, though, and I plan to see this thing through to the end.

Singing- I've been invited to join two different touring choirs (I haven't chosen between them yet). One is going to Prague next summer and, as you can imagine, that is pretty tempting. It's been too long since I was last in Europe- seriously, I need some fresh European pastries in my life and my mouth. While I'm choosing between the two choirs, I'm working on getting my voice up to par. It's fun to sing with a purpose again. Really fun (and a little frustrating because my voice is completely out of shape).

Reading- I've been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on. It's been nice to put my blog roll away for a while and just enjoy books. One of my birthday presents was a Kindle Fire and I've had fun getting used to it. I will still be reading real books, though, so don't worry. I could never give them up. I do love the Kindle Fire at night when Colt is trying to sleep and I want to read in bed. I also love that it slides right in my purse. When I go on vacation, I normally have four or five books with me. This new toy is going to make my luggage a whole lot lighter. :) I also love that it connects to wifi. I've been browsing the internet on it like crazy. It's so much easier than the Macbook and has inspired me to consider an iPad for Colty come Christmastime.

Sleeping- I've taken more naps this summer than ever before in my life and it's been amazing. Harper and I nap together as often as we can. We read a story and then crash out for an hour or so. She's a snugly sleeper and I love it.
Arriving at our camp spot and Harper helping Colt get set up.

A bottle of wine to get the weekend started (thanks, neighbors!) and a some laughs by the campfire.

Turning 29 at midnight by the fire with my baby sleeping on me = best thing ever.


Harper and her Aunt Calli and the entrance to our campground. 

With Mac (one of my favorites) and a nice big slice of my birthday cake.

Kenzie's hat (a most appropriate choice for my birthday) and a little walk around our campground with Harper (we were at Redman, which is about 14 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon).

Harper and her BFF Paityn (she told Harper about the Mermaid Snow Cone and I, in turn, told our local snow cone staff about it) getting ready for a swim party and a big slippery slide splash.

A houseguest (while my in-laws are partying at Lake Powell) and last night's hike to Cecret Lake.

Wildflowers (a true obsession of mine) and a Mermaid Snow Cone (a true obsession of Harper's).




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!