Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hiking Utah: Dog Lake

We hiked to Cecret Lake again last night and it reminded me that I needed to post about another recent hike. A couple of weeks ago, Colt, Harper, Tucker, and I hiked to Dog Lake. To get there, we hiked the Big Water Trail (it can also be accessed from Little Water Trail which is shorter but steeper than Big Water Trail), which is located at the top of Millcreek Canyon. It was really fun to hike with Tucker (dogs are allowed in the upper part of Millcreek Canyon on odd numbered days).

When we decided to do the 6 mile (round trip) hike to Dog Lake, Colt tried to convince me that we needed to go without Harper. I insisted that we take her at least once and promised to piggy back her if/when she got tired (famous last words). I wound up doing so for the majority of the hike up and all of the walk back down (I rewarded my obvious toughness with an enormous veggie burrito from Chipotle, of which I ate every single bite). It was pretty tiring and my ankles were quite sore for a couple of days but in the end, I was glad she was with us.

Dog Lake is not the most impressive or scenic lake around, but the dogs love it because they can swim and play in it. Tucker isn't a big fan of swimming but he had a good time hiking and meeting some new friends (Harper even met a little friend, named Michelle... together, they shared cheese and crackers and talked about all of the important things in life: dogs, princesses, age, and snacks).

The hike itself was wonderful. It was quiet and peaceful and very pretty with lots of wildflowers and beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. I'm really looking forward to going again (sans Harper) and hopefully taking my camera. This time around, I only had my iPhone and I'd love the chance to get some good shots of Tucker (he's only four months old in his photo on our wall so we need to get that replaced... and yes, we are those odd sort of people that have pictures of our dogs hanging up... go ahead and judge us... we are crazy and proud of it).





1 comment:

  1. We have pictures of our dogs displayed in our house too. They're a part of the family after all!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!