Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pure Chaos with a Side of Snuggles

I've learned some pretty profound lessons from parenthood. Harper has taught me about true love, patience, never saying never, and so much more. I'm so thankful for these lessons, hard as they may be at times. I've felt myself growing and changing constantly since Harper was born.

Recently, I've been learning a very big- and difficult- lesson from my feisty two year old.

I've been learning to live- and to enjoy life- amidst chaos. I don't want to be a nag to Harper. I don't want to be one of those moms who puts a clean house and organized schedule above spontaneity and fun. I want Harper to enjoy her surroundings and to have whatever she needs, for play and learning, at her disposal.

In order to do this, I've had to become comfortable with constant mess and clutter. I have had to resist the urge to put the crayon away after each use. Instead, I leave them out on the table so that Harper can color anytime she wants. I've had to learn to live with rooms (mine, hers, the living room, the kitchen) full of toys and books. I've also had to let go and be okay with Harper sporting messy hair and a swimming suit for nearly a week straight and never going to bed before 11:00 p.m. 

It hasn't been easy. At first, I thought that I could only be a good parent if my house, my kid, and my schedule were put perfectly together each day. Slowly, but surely, I've learned that being a parent, at least to a curious toddler named Harper, means the exact opposite.

Being a parent to Harper means messy rooms, sticky hands, uncombed hair, unique outfit choices, cous cous for breakfast and edamame and popsicles for dinner, and all sorts of other kinds of unexpected craziness.

Basically, being a mom to Harper means chaos- pure chaos that's totally worth it because it comes with lots of delicious snuggles, kisses, dance parties, and giggles.

Harper doesn't need a clean house, or even a clean face, to be happy. She could care less if our floors are vacuumed and polished on a daily basis and she is just as happy with cereal for dinner as she is with something fancy (fancy, in regards to my cooking, is a very broad term... I've yet to make anything truly fancy... baked salmon and cous cous is about as fancy as we get). All Harper needs is love and lots of space in which to learn, grow, play, and dance, and I'm doing my best to give it to her. 

The really cool thing about this lesson is that it hasn't been good for just Harper. It's been a huge relief for me to let go of some ridiculous expectations and just enjoy life. In allowing for a messy house (and very often, a messy child), I've been able to spend a lot more time- quality time- with Harper. It's been wonderful to put her first because I know that chores will be here for forever (or at least until I hire a maid) while Harper won't. She's nearly three already, which means that before I know it, she'll be moving away to college, leaving me, my chores, and my broken heart to fend for ourselves. 

Who needs clean floors or organized toys when you can walk to Macey's for ice cream? Not me. 

A couple of days ago, Harper and I walked to the store for an ice cream.
I walked, at least.
Harper jumped, skipped, ran, galloped, and danced her way to the store for an ice cream.
A pink ice cream. With gummy bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!