Friday, August 17, 2012

Garbage Day Randomness and a Free Book

Friends! It's Friday, and none too soon, right?

I'll be starting a new Beauty Aisle Series next week: Beauty Aisle at Home. It's going to be all about at home pampering and homemade products (like masks!). If you have anything you'd like me to cover, leave me a comment.

So, I'm reading a new book. It's by my cousin (in-law), Amy Harmon (one of the most amazing women ever), and so far, I'm loving it. Slow Dance in Purgatory is the first book in Amy's series (more about her, her book, and how you can win signed copies of them on Monday!) and it's actually free (did you hear/read that right? I said FREE!) to download from Amazon until Sunday.


Because I'm terrible at summarizing books, here is the official synopsis from Amazon: Orphaned at the age of ten, 17-year-old Maggie finally finds a permanent home with her elderly aunt in a small Texas town. Working part-time at the local high school, she becomes enmeshed in a fifty-year-old unsolved mystery where nothing is as it seems. Who is the boy no one else can see? And what do you do when you fall for a ghost? This volatile and mismatched romance is doomed from its start, as Maggie struggles to hold on to yet another person she is destined to lose. Secret love and hushed affection are threatened by outside forces resulting in a terrifying race to stay alive. Deeply romantic, haunting and tragic, Slow Dance in Purgatory captures the heartache of a love story where there can be no happy ending.

Click here to get yours and hurry it up because Sunday is right around the corner (the free promotion is something Amy is doing as a celebration of the release of the second book, which came out earlier this week).

Does being related to a really great author make me feel more awesome? Yes. Of course it does.

What else is happening? Not much. I'm just really excited for the weekend. We've got some hiking and swimming and eating and movie watching planned. It's going to be awesome, as long as I can tear myself away from my new Kindle Fire long enough to enjoy it. I know I'm eating my words right now but seriously, I'm crazy for this new toy (many thanks to one of my favorite daycare families for giving it to me) and can't seem to put it down.

By the way... Digital library books are most likely the best thing ever. True story.

I was reading a regular book (which I still love and collect, by the way) the other day and was quite disappointed when I couldn't just touch a word and have its definition pop up for me. I had to put the book down and pick up my iPhone so I could use my Webster's app. I actually had to type the word into the search box. It took nearly a minute away from my reading time. Geez. First world problems can be so difficult.

The only problem with my Kindle Fire is that I have to share it with Harper (don't tell but I'm pretty sure that Santa is bringing Colt and Harper an iPad to share so that I can have my precious library of digital books all to myself). She loves it and plays all sorts of fun learning games every chance she gets.

Well, I'm off to enjoy the weekend with my favorite girls.
Have a good one and be sure to do something really awesome, okay?



1 comment:

  1. Your puppy is SOOOO cute!! Ever since I got my first puppy in March I've found a new love with dog pictures! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!