Thursday, August 16, 2012

Inspiring and Helpful Books on Parenting

One of the first things I did when I found out I was pregnant was go to the library to stock up on books. Over the next 9+ months, I read numerous books on pregnancy and babies and when Harper was born, I felt like I knew what I was doing. I handled baby Harper with ease and was comfortable in my abilities and knowledge, glad beyond glad that I'd taken the time to read and learn about infants/babies.

Then toddler hood came and I lost my footing a bit. Harper's tantrums and stubbornness frustrated me and my reactions to her occasionally poor behavior left me feeling sad and disappointed (in myself, not her). I don't know why I didn't visit the library again right away. 

Harper and I had some more struggles together and finally, about six months ago, I realized that I needed some literary help because Harper deserved more than she was getting from me. She deserved a well informed parent- one that was working to be better. Once again, I hit the library, bringing home a very large stack of books, some that I loved and a few that I returned after only a few pages. I thought I'd share a few of my favorites today, just in case anyone else out there in blogland is looking for some helpful literature on parenting.
This was the perfect read for me because, as you know, Harper is definitely more intense (and headstrong, perceptive, naughty, spunky, and challenging) than most children.

This one is a classic.
I haven't read the original but loved this updated (by Dr. Ginott's wife) version.

I'd read this before (back in college days) and thought that it would be helpful once again.
I am so glad I pulled it off of my bookshelf for a second look.
It's helped me improve nearly every relationship in my life.

I've been reading Kelle's blog for a while now and truly loved (and cried my way through) her book.
She offers some really solid thoughts on embracing the unexpected that inevitably comes along with parenting. This is all over blogland right now. Have you read it? What did you think?

This is another parenting classic.
I think that all parents, teachers, daycare workers, coaches, and grandparents should read it.

This strengthened my resolve against raising a "trophy kid."
We want Harper to be successful but we want her to be happy, kind, and honest, too.

I'm not of the belief that having a child and being a parent is enough. I want to be a good parent- a loving, kind, respectful, and encouraging parent who treats Harper as an equal. I want to learn and grow right along with Harper and I have seen a big difference in myself and our relationship since I took the time to start reading about, and focusing on, being a better mom for her. I've learned a lot about myself, and not just as a parent, through my studies and the subsequent self-evaluation and goal setting that has followed each book. I strongly believe that each new day presents us with an opportunity for growth and change and it's been a really awesome experience to challenge myself as a parent. I feel like I'm doing right by Harper and offering her many things my mom could never have given me because she was too proud to admit she may have needed some guidance. 

I'm not perfect as a parent and I'm well aware of the fact that I never will be, but I am trying to be better- to offer Harper more- every day and my efforts have made all the difference around our house. They have strengthened the bond between Harper and me and have given us more space and time to have fun and enjoy these early years of her life together. 

Have you read any good parenting books? If so, leave me a comment. I'm always on the hunt for reading material. 

1 comment:

  1. Parenting with Love by Glenn Latham. Great parenting book from toddlers to teenagers.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!