Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Little Tree and a Lot of Magic

We didn't have a Christmas tree last year for a variety of reasons (space, Tucker, the daycare, and plans to buy a really nice one once we settled in our house) and it just didn't feel right. Once we move into our house (which, baring any complications, should be within the next six months!), I'm going to invest in a big tree. I can't wait. My mother has always had such beautiful Christmas decorations and, like many, some of my most cherished childhood memories are of us putting them up together (to holiday music, of course... our favorites were Willie Nelson, Barbara Streisand, and Dolly Parton... who am I kidding? These are still my favorites!).

I couldn't go without one this year, though, especially since Harper is all grown-upish and knows about Santa and the "prizes" he brings and all that jazz. We purchased a small tree and set it up on my desk last night. It has red balls and a few ornaments on it. We've been purchasing one for Harper each year (a tradition Colt's mom started for him). She had a classic Pooh ornament for her first Christmas (to match her nursery theme) and a cupcake last year (in celebration of her first birthday). Can you guess what her 2011 ornament will be? Leave me a comment with your ideas (I already know but want to see just how well ya'll have been paying attention).

Harper's "First Christmas" booties are on our tree as well and they are so tiny (aka tear-inducing) that I can barely stand it.

Harper loves our little tree and I love watching Harper love it. I'm once again reminded of how stupid I was for thinking that I wanted a life without children. Christmas is magical when you have a little one around.



Speaking of Christmas... 

Some of it came early at the Adams house. My parents gave us our Christmas money early so we could take advantage of the Thanksgiving weekend specials. He got a gun (boring) and I got this little toy (not boring)...
It arrived this morning and I felt like cheering. I've been wanting an SLR for just about forever. Too bad I have no idea how to use it... yet :).

3 comments:

  1. Ariel! It's going to be Ariel! Maybe a dancing Ariel? We had a small tree for our first few Christmases, too. I love having a big one now with all the fun decor -- make sure to hit the stores on the 26th for everything you want for next year.

    Not sure what Miss Marvel's ornament will be this year. The only thing she really loves is babies. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guessed it! I just need to order it so that it's here before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend investing in a zoom lens when you have the basics of your camera down...I thought my professor was nuts but I use it all the time! Check out the Pinterest suggestions - a lot of them are helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!