Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Big Girl Bed Update- We Locked Our Toddler in Her Room and She Survived

Just a quick update on the big girl bed situation at our house... It's going really well.

The first night was rough. Harper was up and out of bed constantly. It was a nightmare (one in which nobody in our house was actually sleeping for), much like when she was climbing out of her crib all night long.

Since then, however, life has been good. We lock (don't even think about judging me) Harper's room when she goes to bed and unlock it before we turn in for the night. I know that many people will think this is poor parenting on our part. I don't care. Those people aren't raising a child as willful as Harper and they have probably never tried to run a daycare on no sleep, either. Locking her door was not a decision that I came to lightly. I read a lot and did quite a bit of thinking about it beforehand. In the end, it was something I was willing to try if it meant a good night's sleep for Harper and me. Remember that we'd been almost two weeks without Harper sleeping straight though the night. I was dead tired and so was Harper (even though she would never have admitted it for anything in the world). In order for either of us to keep functioning, we needed rest. We desperately needed rest.

The first time that we locked it, we heard her get up and try to come out. She didn't say anything. She just jiggled her doorknob and knocked lightly once or twice. She didn't cry. She didn't even act alarmed. Once she realized that the "I'm out of bed and I'm so damn cute that you can't get mad at me" game wasn't happening, she went straight back to bed and slept all night (insert Handel's Hallelujah Chorus here). It's been that way every single night since (double chorus). Nap time is equally wonderful and really, I feel like a person again. I'm no longer too tired to blog, read, clean, or take a shower. It's amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Harper is back to her happy Harper self as well. She has been sleeping 10-11 hours a night and taking 2-3 hour naps during the day. I think she is making up for lost time. She is really proud of her big girl bed and climbs into it willingly every night (she is definitely her daddy's daughter in this respect... Colt's absolute favorite time of day is "sleepy time").

I love sharing a story with Harper in her big girl bed. I love tucking her in. I love kissing her when she is sleeping. I love when she wakes up and runs into our room for a morning snuggle and some sour milky breath kisses (my favorite). Harper, as you already know, has the best bed head ever and I just love the way it smells in the morning- like the perfect combination of shampoo, fabric softener, and baby sweat.
Locking Harper's door was a good decision for us. She is certainly not traumatized. In fact, she is happier and healthier because of it. Seriously, an under-rested toddler is neither happy nor healthy. Harper had been 14 days without adequate rest. She was not herself mentally, emotionally, or physically. Something had to be done. We thought about a crib tent and even considered giving in and letting Harper sleep with us. In the end, neither of those options seemed right for us. Locking Harper's door seemed right for us.

As I read about this issue, I came across a lot of opinions and many of them were quite harsh. A lot of people are really quick to judge a parent's choice. What they fail to realize is that parenting isn't a science. It never has been and never will be. When it comes to raising a child, there isn't always a right or wrong answer.

Colt and I are first time parents and like many, we are doing the very best we can. We would never do anything to harm Harper, either emotionally or physically. We made this decision- the decision to lock her in her room- the same way that we've made all of our Harper related choices: with love. 

As it turns out, our loving choice was the right choice for us. Harper is sleeping. Colt and I are sleeping. Everyone is happy and I do believe that the Adams family deserves a gold star because we. are. awesome.




15 comments:

  1. I'm glad you don't think parenting is a spectator sport. Good for you! I can only imagine the parenting peer pressure to do what is acceptable, even if it's not working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it worked for you guys! I'm always little hesitant to answer when people ask us how we got our kids sleeping through the night, but we had relatively the same experience you did - no trauma or panic that they can't get out, they just know there's a boundary and once they know that, they can rest easy. Hooray for sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just worry if there was a fire and you had to unlock the door and you couldn't manage it because of smoke. Have you tried a door knob safety cover (the type you have to grip and twist)? My daughter uses them because her 3 year old knows how to unlock and open the front door and she lives on a busy street. We no longer worry about his trying to escape. Their really cheap too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came here via BlogHer. Just wanted to say, good for you. When my son was that age, we had similar issues. I put a doorknob safety cover on the inside of his bedroom door. Some folks raised an eyebrow, but it worked. And it didn't have to stay on there forever, just until he learned to stay in the big bed at night. He was safe (right across the hall from us) and he finally, finally, got back into a decent sleep pattern. Hugs to you for trusting your gut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also came here from blogger. We were in the same place. We didn't lock her door (if for no other reason than there isn't a lock on her door!), but we did put a child-proof cover on her doorknob....and it worked wonderfully.

    Then, we started potty training and we decided to take the cover off her door knob. Now, it is an ordeal to get her to sleep each night. We've thought about putting it back on...and may still...but it has definitely impacted sleep for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parenting based on love, logic, and honest reflection rarely goes wrong. Good for you - I'm so glad your whole family is feeling and functioning better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you know how to speak your daughter's language! She understood that you meant, "Go to SLEEEEEEP"! Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Visiting from BlogHer as well, and I just wanted to say that I completely agree with your decision. We have used door covers for our daughters and it has helped immensely. I have three daughters and I am still learning everyday how to parent them. keep trusting yourself and you'll do fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey everyone... Thank you so much for reading the post and visiting my blog! Your comments are really appreciated. I was expecting some harsh comments from the post and haven't received even one.

    Cheryl... Thank you for your concern. I guess I should clarify our situation a bit. When I say that we lock her in, I sort of exaggerate. We don't use a lock and key sort of thing. All I did was turn her door knob around so that the little knob lock is on the outside and not the inside. It is really easy to get in her room- pretty much as easy as it is to open it when it isn't locked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a strong-willed daughter. If I'd been smarter, I might have done the same thing when she was that age. I agree that if it is a thought-out decision based on the needs of your family, it isn't harming the children, and it isn't a reaction based upon anger, than who is to judge? Every child is different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also came here from BlogHer. I'm glad it worked out for you! Sounds like it was a tough decision to make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's absolutely fantastic that you did what you needed to do to get your family over this hurdle. There is no one right way. Kudos to you for recognizing that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came here via BlogHer as well. We have the male version of your daughter. When he was that age, it was awful trying to get him to stay in his bed to fall asleep. I shared this with a girlfriend who suggested a baby gate on the door. At that point we had neve used one, as our house is very open and single-story. We tried it and it worked! He stayed in bed and we all got rest. Now (two year later) the gate is gone and life is good. Honestly, only you know what is best for your child. Your decision clearly worked for her, and your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you!! I used baby gates stacked two high because the door did not lock. but if it did I would have done the same thing. I think the real danger is trying to function on a few hours of sleep. Judging other parents is something I never got. We all know we are going to screw up and do something that will make us feel bad enough without piling on judgment. Trust what you think is right for your kid.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!