Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Weekend in Barrettes

I spent the last three days away from the computer and it was wonderful. Instead of facebook/blog stalking all of you, I read A Tale of Two Cities. It was wonderful and once again, I'm wishing I had just a little bit of Dickens' genius.

I'm starting The Book Thief tonight and I'm really excited. I've lost track of how many people have recommended it to me.

I'm glad to be back, though and I hope that everyone had a lovely weekend. I know that we certainly did.

Potty training didn't really happen, however. We decided to postpone it so that we could be out and about having fun over the holiday. I also feel like Harper isn't quite ready and believe me, she is the kind of girl that won't be pushed into anything. Potty training is going to have to be on her terms, just like losing the bottle was.

My adventure into the art of barrette wearing was successful and really, I'm quite addicted now and have been barrette shopping on etsy all afternoon.

Here are a few of my barrette styles... Please keep in mind that I'm an amateur hair stylist and am really just making these up as I go....

Here I am heading for a long walk in the park with Colt, Harper, and Tucker. I paired this barrette with a super messy bun.

On Sunday evening, Colt and I went to see The Hangover, Part 2. I wore my hair in a perky ponytail with a mermaid braid (which you can't really see... but it's cute, I promise) on the side, and I topped it all off with a barrette. ( Remember when I tried a perky ponytail for the first time in like 20 years?) Anyway, my hair is a little wavy here because I slept in two french braids the night before. 

Harper loves to get ready with me. Basically, she destroys my makeup bins, smashes lipstick, and stares at herself in the mirror. She had a great time at Grandma's house and Colt and I had fun on our little date.  I love when we pick Harper up. She is always so excited to see us and lets me kiss her soft little cheeks as many times as I want.

Last night, I went to see Bruno Mars with some friends and my sisters-in-law. Thanks to Harper and an enormous mess (courtesy of Harper), I had about 5 minutes for my hair. I wound up with a messy blowout/side barrette sort of style. It was okay but I'd really hoped for something more creative. I just didn't have the time. 


Plain jain hair aside, the concert was great. Bruno Mars is a sexy man with a sexy voice, for sure, and it was really fun to see him live.

Truthfully, I'm not really a big concert person- I much prefer the symphony or a Broadway show where people sit quietly in their seats and resist the urge to dance and sing along. I've never been a very good concert goer. I'm not a screamer. I don't dance and I certainly don't sing along. Still, I had fun last night and am really glad that we went. 

Also, you could not pay me enough money to be a 13 year old girl again. I've been there and I never want to go back. I owe a big thank you to the overly enthusiastic tween who was making out with a photo of Bruno Mars last night for reminding me of this. Don't get me wrong, I loved N'Sync back in the day and I went to their concert. I'm sure I even did my share of screaming and freaking out, but I never sunk so low as to kiss a computer print-out photo of Justin Timberlake. 

Even at 13, I think I would have preferred a ticket to Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables. That little old lady that lives in my soul- the one who like floral bags and figurines- is probably to blame. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the musical outings. I too prefer the symphony or opera (oh how I LOVE the opera!). Your hair looks cute though...as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Truthfully, I'm not really a big concert person- I much prefer the symphony or a Broadway show where people sit quietly in their seats and resist the urge to dance and sing along. I've never been a very good concert goer. I'm not a screamer. I don't dance and I certainly don't sing along...

    ...Also, you could not pay me enough money to be a 13 year old girl again. I've been there and I never want to go back...

    ...Even at 13, I think I would have preferred a ticket to Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables."

    Amen to all of the above! Maybe I have a little old lady living in my soul too...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!