Sunday, February 14, 2010

I Love Valentine's Day!



Hazelnut Valentine
(aka Grinch because her little puppy paws looked like the Grinch's feet. It is just one of those nicknames that has stuck. She answers to it and even Colt calls her Grinch.)


I wanted to dedicate this Valentine's Day post to Hazelnut, my little Grinch baby. Two years ago on Valentine's Day, I was at work. I was in a bit of a rough spot personally and had purposefully scheduled myself to work just so that I could avoid the world. I'd been looking at puppies online for years, dreaming of the day when I'd pick a little shih tzu to take home. I had absolutely no intention of getting a puppy any time soon. I was merely browsing the ads because it was slow in the store. I made it through a few pages of ksl classifieds, looking mainly at shih tzus and for some reason, I decided to call on one. The breeder, Ben, said I could come over and look at the puppies that afternoon. He had a liter ready to go home immediately. I took a break from work and headed to his house, still wondering what in the world I was doing. I looked at the liter and none of the puppies seemed to be the one for me; I was disappointed. Ben told me he had a newer liter of black mask gold puppies that wouldn't be ready for several weeks. He brought a box of teeny tiny fur balls into the room and pulled each of them out. Most of the puppies climbed around the couch, completely oblivious to my presence. The exception was one chubby little girl who climbed onto my lap and didn't budge. I loved her in that instant. As unexpected as this surprise was, I was overwhelmed with happiness for I had found my puppy! I knew it in my heart. I gave Ben a deposit and he said she could go home in March. ("March?" I thought, "March is FOREVER away!") I asked if I could come see her before then and he said that would be fine. I visited my little Hazelnut every Saturday until the happy day when I wrapped her in a fuzzy pink baby blanket and took her home. We have been best friends since. I love her and I am certain that we were meant to meet.
I love Valentine's Day! It's not so much the romance that I love, but the colors, treats, hearts, and celebration of love in every form. This Valentine's Day was amazing! Colt gave me the pink Kitchenaid Mixer that I've been dreaming of for years and I love it. I've already made three cakes. This was Harper's first Valentine's Day. She dressed up and was, to no one's surprise, spoiled with presents. From Grandma Carrie and Grandpa Doug, she received an outfit, two bows, and a book. From Aunt Calli, she got two summer outfits, and from us she got princess dishes and bibs. I thought these gifts would be most appropriate since she has started eating solid (well, if you can actually call squished up vegetables and watery cereal "solid") food. She actually tried carrots for the first time today. She loved them and I loved watching her eat them, spit them all over and then rub them in her hair as she fell asleep in her chair! Silly baby!

Harper loves to sit in her chair! Even though she is only four months, she is sitting up all the time. She likes to sit in her chair and play with a toy.
Showing off her new dishes!
A romantic Valentine's Day dinner of carrots!
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!