Friday, January 3, 2014

2013 Bucket List Review

2013 was the first year that I chose to skip resolutions and make a bucket list of fun things to do, read, and learn instead. It worked out really well and even though I didn't cross everything off, I feel really good about the things that I did personally and the experiences we had as a family.

Personal:
take a photography class- I didn't do this in 2013 but have plans to take a SLCC course with Whitney this year! I really want a new lens but won't let myself splurge on one until I've taken a class.

go back to school- also happening this year! I didn't really know what I wanted to go back to school for. I fiddled with the idea of becoming an elementary school teacher but then realized that wasn't really what I wanted to do. Once I took a long look at my strengths and passions, I realized that I should probably be doing something that involves writing, reading, or teaching English. I'm meeting with a counselor this month to make a plan.

find and go to a yoga studio in our new neighborhood- I'm hoping to find time for this in 2014. I am busy almost every day and finding time to indulge in yoga is difficult. I need to do it, though. It's time that I start making room for yoga.

update travel journal It was hard to do this because some of my trips were over a decade ago, but I wanted my travel journal to be complete. I have recorded favorite memories from all of my piano tours and trips with my parents.

find a church for harper and me

outline both of my parent's histories I have this done and am just trying to get my parents to open up. There is so much I want to know about them and the lives they lived before I was born. I am especially curious about my dad. He has had a pretty interesting life.

spend at least 208 hours (4 hours a week) at the piano- I didn't meet this goal but I did practice a total of 146.5 hours in 2013, which is a lot better than nothing. I loved being at the piano this year. There was no pressure to prepare for anything. I learned and reviewed what I wanted to. I really enjoyed working with some simpler pieces and playing around with pop arrangements. I feel like I made practicing a habit in 2013 and am looking forward to spending more time at my piano this year.

plant (and hopefully grow) something (flowers, an herb garden, etc)

run 312 miles (an average of 6 miles a week)- I almost made it. Strep throat and a busy holiday kept me from hitting 312 miles. I ended the year with 299.2, though, and feel pretty good about it. I love the time I get to spend running/walking with Hazel and Tucker. I swear that it keeps me sane.

meet my penpal- Roya and I met on September 2, 2013. It was one of the best moments of the year!

write letters to five people that have changed my life

Family:
take at least one family photo each month
(Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sept. Oct. Nov. Dec.)

have professional family photos taken- this didn't happen and I'm blaming Colt's beard and busy schedule

go camping at least once

take harper on trax

go to the children's museum at The Gateway

visit the new Natural History Museum (see the post here)

spend a night/weekend in Park City with harper (possibly for my birthday)

take harper to swimming lessons

purchase a Utah hiking book and try at least three new hikes
1. Lake Mary- July 10, 2013
2. Twin Lakes/Lake Solitude- July 22, 2013
3. Bell Canyon Reservoir- August 2nd, 2013

hike Cecret Lake July 14, 2013

hike Lake Blanche July 11, 2013

make homemade play dough

visit temple square at Christmas

have a picnic in the mountains

take harper horseback riding  (see the post here)

take harper to the ocean (August 31, 2013)

send out Christmas cards (since we are the only people who don't do this already)

visit This is the Place

go to Miss Utah

take Harper to Thanksgiving Point

take Harper to at least 3 live performances (Tuacahn doesn't count since it's already a tradition) 1. 2. 3.
     1. The Little Mermaid ballet
     2. Miss Utah finale
     3. Disney on Ice
     4. Bonus: The Forgotten Carols!

Literary:
read/re-read the following:
   War and Peace
   East of Eden
   The Great Gatsby
   Les Miserables
   A Farewell to Arms
   A Soprano on her Head
   Great Expectations
   Crime and Punishment
   The Bible
   A History of God
   The Chronicles of Narnia (with Harper)- we only got through The Magician's Nephew
   The God Who Weeps
   Jesus the Christ
   A Severe Mercy
   The Year of Living Biblically

I am putting my 2014 Bucket List up today. I am excited for a fun and productive year!

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea for a bucket list and I'm impressed that you crossed so many things off it. I also love that you're blaming Colt's beard for not getting family pictures. I choked on my laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!