Thursday, September 5, 2013

Meeting My Pen Pal

Harper, Colt, and I have been in Northern California for the past week, vacationing in Monterey and San Francisco with my in-laws. We had a great time and more about our travels, along with pics, will come in the next post. This post, however, is about something a little bigger. You see, my pen pal, Roya, is from right outside of San Francisco. When Colt's parents told us earlier this year that they wanted to take us there, I knew I'd have to arrange something with her. Last time I was in San Francisco, Roya was in Las Vegas. There was no way I was letting bad timing get in the way of us meeting again.

On Monday, we met. We had dinner together at Fisherman's Wharf in SF. I was so nervous to meet her (you know me and my nerdy social anxiety), but the minute- the very minute- I saw her and we hugged (something I've waited for for 21 years), all my anxiety disappeared as I realized that there was no reason to be nervous around someone you've known nearly your entire life. I didn't even care that I was sweaty and disheveled from a day of travel. I didn't even care that my outfit didn't match. Those things just don't matter when you're with one of your oldest friends.

Roya and I have been writing letters (and more recently, connecting on facebook and instagram) since fourth grade. She's been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember. I've sent her birthday cards (her birthday is only three days after mine), Christmas cards, postcards from all over the world, Lisa Frank stickers, and countless letters. Meeting her, hugging her, talking to her in person, and seeing our daughters (her daughter, Olivia, is just a year and a half older than Harper) play together was so surreal- so magical. I loved her instantly and can't wait until we can get together again- hopefully before another two decades have passed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!