Monday, June 24, 2013

Weekend Wrap-Up: Miss Utah 2013 and Some Other Summertime Fun

Last weekend was crazy. It was exciting and exhausting and I found myself experiencing all sorts of emotions and crying all types of tears.

It all came to a head today when my mom called to say that she and my dad wanted give me a very special- and much needed- gift for my 30th birthday, which is coming up in August. My parents' never ending, and more often than not, undeserved, generosity never fails to amaze and humble me. I was so ecstatic after talking to my mom that I sat down and treated myself to a complete breakdown. Then, I made myself clean out the three purses I've been living out of lately. I find that nothing calms a breakdown more for me than a little bit of organization, and if anything in this house needed organizing, it was my purses.
Obviously, I've been busy. If this mish mash of handbag clutter doesn't give you proof, nothing will. 
- - -

I sit on the committee for Miss Nebo, a local pageant open to all young ladies from Utah who would like a title and the chance to compete at the Miss Utah Scholarship Pageant (not to be confused with the Miss Utah USA beauty pageant). I am the talent consultant and blog manager for The Miss Nebo Organization, a position that I cherish and enjoy. 

I was a part of the Miss America system when I was younger (Miss Payson in 2001 and runner-up to Miss Utah the following year) and learned so much about myself from it, as well as countless things about communication, goal setting, community service, and interviewing. Not a day has gone by over the past decade (eek!) that I haven't been grateful for the skills I acquired from pageant preparation and participation. I always knew that I'd want to be on the other end of the system one day and was thrilled two years ago when I was asked to be a part of the Miss Nebo Committee.

This year, Miss Nebo sent two girls to Miss Utah (we had so many try out last year that we were, under the Miss America guidelines, able to name two titleholders), which took place last week. I love both of our girls and was so proud of them as they participated in four nights of intense competition. Both won preliminary talent awards, both were named to the top ten (out of nearly 50 talented, smart, and lovely girls, mind you) and one of them was even named Miss Utah 2013! I was beyond excited for her and can barely wait to see her rock the stage at Miss America this September. 

Harper joined me at Capital Theater on Saturday for the final night of competition (two more things crossed off of our 2013 Bucket List- hooray!). We had a great time cheering for both of our girls and Harper was really happy when one of them won "the big crown."


If ever you are kind enough to take a photo for me, please remind me to remove my Harry Potter glasses.

This beautiful girl is Ciera Pekarcik. Last Saturday morning, she was Miss Panoramaland 2012. Now she is Miss Utah 2013! She is smart, humble, funny, beautiful, and talented. She is also one of the most dedicated people I've ever met- a true symbol of what persistance can do for a person. I love her and couldn't ask for a better role model for Harper. If you want to get to know Ciera a bit better, go here. 


Here is another amazing young lady. Vanessa Watson is Miss Nebo 2012. She was also in the top ten at Miss Utah and received a preliminary talent award. She is an amazing pianist and is as smart as she is beautiful- she is preparing to start medical school and her ultimate goal is to become a cardiac surgeon! I love Vanessa and think that she is an inspiration. 

Harper thinks Vanessa and Ciera are both pretty cool and I love that. Harper is part of the reason that I volunteer with the Miss Nebo Organization. I love surrounding my daughter with bright, positive, and goal-oriented young women. I love that these women are showing her that you can be beautiful and smart and talented, all at the same time. I love that they are showing her the power of dreaming big and believing in yourself.
- - - - -

Miss Utah wasn't the only part of our weekend. I did a bunch of packaging and shipping for The Sandy Closet and took Harper to Liberty Park. We also attended a water/birthday party and enjoyed a BBQ with Colt and his family. 

Summertime weekends really are the best, aren't they? Harper sure thinks so.











Life has been really busy the past two months. It should slow down a bit now, which is something that I am more than ready for. I don't mind a little chaos but really do love, and need, my quiet time. I need more time to play with Harper, practice my piano, and read my books. I like simplicity and am looking forward to lots of it in July. I'm hoping for time enough to cross several things off of my 2013 Bucket List. I'm looking forward to hiking, experimenting in the kitchen, and doing fun things with my favorite little lady. 

What are you planning for July?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!