Monday, October 22, 2012

That Time that Ariel Potty Trained Harper

Harper has, until now, been very resistant to potty training. She did really well for about a month after her second birthday. Then she got bored with it and gave up. Since that time, we haven't even been able to discuss the idea of potty training without defiance. Talking about wearing undies has literally caused her to go straight to meltdown status.

Not wanting to fight with my two year old about something as trivial as using the toilet, I let it go, knowing that this was a step Harper was going to have to take on her own time.

Last Thursday, Harper and I were looking at Disney.com trying to get some ideas for Santa. Harper has been wanting an Ursula doll and as we were looking at the different options, we saw this:
Harper went crazy. She "needed" it (really though, another set of small Disney toys is about the last thing she needs) and wanted me to order it "right now." I told her she would just have to wait and see what Santa brings. No way. She wasn't waiting for Santa. She didn't even want to wait until Saturday (Harper thinks everything big happens on a Saturday). She wanted this Ariel play set today. 

Harper never gets this way about toys, unless they are Ariel toys. She is rarely demanding when it comes to buying things. 

I saw my chance and took it.

I told Harper that I'd get it for her when she was potty trained.

She's been potty trained ever since.

True story.

This is no exaggeration. Harper has worn undies and used the toiled consistently since last Thursday. She has even stayed dry through her naps and at night. She has not had one accident. 

Basically, if you wait long enough, your kid (with a little help from her best friend Ariel) will potty train herself and all you'll have to do is order a $15 set of Little Mermaid toys (Harper's are on their way!). 

1 comment:

  1. Same thing happened with Luke...I jumped at my chance when he needed a train table...worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!