Friday, April 20, 2012

Moving On

While I am so so so happy to be moving to our new house, I'm a bit sad to leave this townhouse behind us. This is where Colt and I were newlyweds. It's where we brought Tucker home when he was a tiny (and quite annoying) puppy. This is where Harper was a baby. She took her first steps here (at only 9 months, mind you, which almost killed me). As long as I live, I will never forget how adorable she was when she walked for the first time. When I think of it now, I see that those little steps were just the beginning of Harper's determination.

Harper and I have made countless precious memories together in this townhouse and I'm feeling sort of sappy about moving on. We set Harper's new bed up at the new house last night (of course it's totally cute). She loved it and when she climbed onto it for the first time, she grew up just a little bit more and I stood there in her mostly empty room and cried because once again, I was totally unprepared. I wasn't ready for her to leave her crib behind and I'm certainly not ready for her to be done with her toddler bed. Still, she is. Harper, it seems, is determined to be several steps ahead of me at all times. She is living life on her own time and in her own way and I'm proud of her for it, despite the fact that it often breaks my sensitive mommy heart.
(Harper christened her new room by watching The Little Mermaid.
It's not home without Ariel, you know.)

I'm so excited to make new memories with Harper at the new house. I'm excited to see her play outside and eat popsicles with neighborhood friends. I'm excited to see her go from toddler to girl in the new house, which I love more than I ever thought I would. The more time I spend there, the more I realize that it is the place for us. Already, it's home (I've been sad to come back to the townhouse every night this week). Colt and I are both crazy about it and I know that we are going to be really happy there. It's a good house on a good street. We've met our neighbors and they are wonderful (they love Harper, Hazel, and Tucker already).

Together, Colt, Harper, and I will learn/grow/celebrate/love/live in this new house and I know, without doubt, that it's going to be wonderful.

The part that knocks my socks off is knowing that we will be sending our little Harper to kindergarten from this new house (God help me on that day because I will nearly die, I'm sure of it). We may even welcome another little miracle into our lives in this house. Really, we have no idea what is in store for us with this new step and that, in and of itself, is a most exciting thought.

I didn't intend to ramble on this afternoon but that's just what happens when I'm feeling emotional about something. I just felt like I needed a minute to express my gratitude for this townhouse and for the happy times that have happened here. There have been snuggles and good food and wonderful friends and learning experiences and looking back, I can see that it's all been good. Harper wasn't the only person who grew here. Colt and I have both come a long way in the past two years and we are, I believe, better people/parents/spouses because of it.

Anyway, as a way of saying goodbye to our little home, Harper and I had one last dance party in my bedroom this afternoon and, like the countless others that we have had there, it was awesome. Totally awesome.

Happy weekend, my friends.
Do something awesome.






1 comment:

  1. Newness is exciting! You'll have to give us a "tour" of the new place once you're all set up. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!