Monday, November 14, 2011

The Beauty Aisle: Aspirin Masks

I've had several people ask about how I keep my skin clear and the answer is... I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's just a genetic thing and has absolutely nothing to do with me or any efforts on my part.

My skin is very low maintenance, which is a good thing since I'm really lazy about washing my face and all that jazz. The main skin concern I have is anti-aging (like that's news to any of you) and so I feel pretty lucky.

That was a lame answer, I know. I'm sorry. I'll try to make it up to you. I'm devoting this week to skin concerns and will be posting (hopefully daily) about how to fix, or at least minimize, your skin issues. Leave me a comment if you have a specific question or situation (dry skin, oily skin, redness, etc.) and I'll do my best to offer you some good advice.

To get the week started, let's talk about aspirin masks. Have you ever used one? If so, leave a comment telling us about your experience.

Aspirin (a beta-hydroxy acid) is known to be quite effective in both cleaning and reducing the size of pores. Aspirin masks can help to reduce redness/swelling, minimize pimples, and exfoliate/soften your skin (more info/reviews can be found here or here or here).


Many people swear by aspirin masks and use them several times a week. Others find that they aren't overly effective and do nothing but soften the skin. I think it's definitely worth a try (or two... some say that it takes several applications to see a change). At the very least, you'll have softer skin and if an aspirin mask does wind up being effect for you, you'll have one of the easiest and most inexpensive beauty treatments at your fingertips.


There are a lot of different aspirin mask recipes out there in internetland. Here are a couple that I could make without a trip to the store. The most important thing to remember is that you must use uncoated aspirin.

Basic Aspirin Mask (from here):


Step 1: Take 6 uncoated aspirin and break each into halves. Put in a small cup.
Step 2: Add 3-4 drops of warm/hot water, and use a stick or spoon to mash and stir up the aspirin. If it’s too dry and doesn’t dissolve, add 1 drop of water at a time until it forms into a thick white paste.
Step 3: Spread thickly onto your face. Leave for 10-15 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when bits of white powder start falling off your face.
STEP 4: As you wash it off with warm water, gently massage it into your skin. You’ll feel your skin to be very smooth and even.
STEP 5: Pat face gently dry. Done!


Lime and Honey Aspirin Mask:
5-6 uncoated aspirin 

Melt aspirin in one wedge of lime juice 

Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt 
Add I drop of honey 
Apply to face
Leave on for about 20 minutes
Rinse with warm water

If you try either of these (or another type of aspirin mask) this week, let me know how it goes. Leave a comment here or e-mail me at missabbya@gmail.com. 






1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of an aspirin mask?! But how easy it is to make, whenever and wherever I want. I'm usually too lazy to care about my skin, but I may try this. It's way too easy not to!

    -Bailey
    http://lostandfound-bailee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!