Monday, September 19, 2011

The Beauty Aisle: Prioritizing to Save Time

Over the weekend, I asked my facebook friends and followers what beauty/product questions they might have. If you responded, you're awesome. I'm going to answer all of the questions this week, I promise.

One of the questions was about saving time.

Sometimes I wonder what in the world I did before I had a Harper girl. Then I remember that it used to take me over an hour (eek!) to get ready each day. I'd iron my clothes, shower, wash my hair, lotion, put makeup on, dry my hair, get dressed, flat-iron/curl my hair, accessorize, and find the perfect pair of shoes every single day.

What in the world was I thinking?

Now that I'm a mom (among other things) I can't do this everyday because I don't have time. Also, I don't want to be so high maintenance that I have to spend an hour in front of the mirror in order to feel ready. I'd much rather read a book or take Hazelnut for a walk. In the past few years, I have come up with a simplified routine that really works for me.

Sure, there are days when I take my time getting ready. They are usually on the weekends when I have special plans. Really though, I don't feel like I look any better when I spend 60+ minutes getting ready than I do on days when time is limited.

On regular days, I'm all Abbyed up in about 25 minutes. Last Saturday, for example, I was super busy getting our house ready because people were coming over to watch the U game (which was so fun, by the way... we seriously have awesome friends). I was showered, "done up", and dressed in about half an hour.

I think that the best way to shorten  your beauty routine is to prioritize.

Ask yourself what parts of your routine are necessary for you to feel put together (it doesn't matter what advertisers say or what your mom/friends do... you need to find what works for you). Make those things a daily habit and let everything else be optional.

Everyone will have different priorities. I know girls that can't feel pretty unless they have clean hair or wear mascara. Others don't consider themselves "ready" unless they have jewelry on.

It's all up to you and it's all about what specific things make you feel beautiful.

My priorities are a shower, shaved legs, lotion, ironed clothes, and a little makeup. I will never feel pretty if I have dry skin or wrinkled clothing and that's just that.

I save other things like hair washing, jewelry, and heavier makeup for the days when I have/need more time.

My simplified hair routine is easy because not washing my hair saves so much time (at least 30 minutes each day!). A little dry shampoo, a messy bun or a few curls, and some hairspray is all I need to feel good about my hair. I can honestly do my hair in about five minutes.

My simplified makeup routine (which also takes about five minutes) includes nothing more than foundation (Bare Minerals), blush (Sonia Kashuk for Target), and lipstick (L'Oreal Paris). If I'm wearing lipstick, I feel pretty almost regardless of anything else. I don't bother with eye makeup unless I have to because it takes so much time (I also wear sunglasses everywhere I go so unless it's evening, nobody even sees my eyes).

That's pretty much all I have to say about saving time. How do you save time when you get ready? Do you have any good tips to share?

2 comments:

  1. Inspiring post :b Time management is always key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite new to the dry shampoo thing, so before, when I wanted to save time, it meant making my hair wavy. Curl-enhancer spray, diffuser, a bit of gel and I am ready. But really, I'd choose face over clothes or hair any day. For me, my face the is priority. With blonde lashes, I must have mascara, or at least eyeliner. And lipstick.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!