Monday, January 31, 2011

SLC Saturdays #2, 3, 4

Harper and I experienced a true Utah girl's weekend. In the past three days, we have been to a bridal show, a baby shower, and a shopping center. (I think the only thing missing was a Zumba class.) If you know Utah girls, you know that we usually excel at getting married, having babies, and scoring good deals at big, commercial stores. (I've got the wedding and the baby down but don't think I'll ever prefer superstores to local businesses. I also prefer the treadmill to Zumba. Call me a rebel. I can't help it.)

Anyway, the bridal show came first. My sissy-in-law Calli is getting married and so we went to The Wedding Festival with her. I've never been to a wedding show before. Shocking, I know. What Utah girl has never been to a bridal extravaganza? I hadn't and somehow, I managed to survive. This gives me hope that I'll continue to live without Zumba as well.

It was pretty much as I expected it to be. Photographers and florists were all up in our faces trying to get us to enter their drawings and take their cards. Calli was even bombarded by an insurance company at one point. It was crazy but we had some delicious berry gelato so it was worth it. I'm not a bride and I'm not getting married (because I did... two weeks ago) but that didn't stop me from scoring a bunch of free goods. I came home with complimentary chap stick, mugs, nail files, condoms, and baby wipes. I doubt such a variety could be had anywhere else in the world. Harper got some free candy. Calli got some great ideas. In the end, we all went home happy.

Scout joined us, of course.
I just hope he didn't feel awkward, being the only male guest and all.


My friend Heather's baby shower came next. I love Heather. She is one of my favorite people ever and I was so happy to be a part of her shower. She is going to be a wonderful mother to baby Logan, I just know it. Harper had so much fun at her first ever baby shower, mainly because it was warm outside and she had a big backyard to explore. She also ate her fair share of pickles, olives, and gummy bears, which is not something that happens regularly, I promise.

I took a ton of photos at the shower. I took photos of Harper, Heather and her friends, Heather opening gifts, the food, and the cupcakes. Somehow, I didn't manage to make it home with a picture of Heather and me. I hate when that happens.



 Scout was once again the only male at an all female event.
He has also started wearing Harper's old bows.
I'm beginning to wonder if there is something he needs to tell us...
I was responsible for the party favors.
Jars of honey seemed perfect for a Winnie-the-Pooh shower.

 Harper loves party food.

The last stop of our weekend was Jordan Landing. I generally avoid large shopping centers like this because everything about them (parking lots, busy stores, rude shoppers, self-check out lines, speed bumps...) gives me anxiety. I also prefer to spend my time at small stores and support local businesses. Don't worry, Harper and I will be visiting many of them during our year of SLC Saturdays.

We couldn't resist this trip, however, because I had a nice stack of gift cards to Bed Bath and Beyond and yesterday, they were having a large clearance sale. That's a win/win situation if you ask me. It took me ten minutes to even find the store once I arrived at the shopping center, which is seriously big. If you need to go to Walmart, Target, Kohl's, Sears, and Sams' Club all in the same afternoon, Jordan Landing is the place for you. If you'd like to retain your sanity, it probably isn't.

Anyway, I found a cart full of deals at Bed Bath and Beyond. On our way out of the maze of massive stores, we stopped at Barnes and Noble. I've finally recovered from our last visit there and I had a few dollars left of a gift card so I took Harper to get a prize. She chose a large Disney Princess Look & Find book. She loves it. We spent the rest of our weekend at home enjoying it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!