Friday, December 17, 2010

A Memory

I was really heartbroken to read about the Provo Tabernacle fire this morning. I actually called my mom in tears at 8:00 (7:00 Vegas time- and no, she wasn't up).

The Tabernacle has long held a very special place in my heart. Have you ever had a moment that was so amazing that it forever altered your life path? I've had several and one of the biggest took place at the Tabernacle when I was 12 years old. My parents took me to see David Glen Hatch's Christmas concert. (David Hatch is a grammy award winning recording artist and one of the best piano teachers in Utah.) It was that night that he and I met and a nearly 10 year long journey began. I will never forget the magic that I felt when David (Dr. Hatch as he will always be to me) began playing his arrangement of "Joy to the World." In that instant, I became a changed girl. That gave me the inspiration to take my piano skills to their limit.

As we left the Tabernacle that December night, I asked my mom to set up an audition with David. A week later I was his student, scared and excited at the same time. Over the next decade, David, a few other students, and I would travel through Europe, Russia, Japan, and China performing together. He would only take select students abroad and I was lucky to be invited each year. We travelled stateside for competitions and he was on the front row as I competed for Miss Utah. To this day David is one of my favorite people and he is still my hero, all thanks to one concert at the Provo Tabernacle.

Since then, I've attended many more concerts and even performed at the Tabernacle. Sounds came to life in building's main hall. The acoustics were so vibrant that they drew the audience members in and made them feel as if they themselves belonged to the music. I've been on the giving and receiving end of such an experience and am proud to say so.

It's no secret that I love old things- old books, buildings, furniture- and am so sad to see such a historical gem destroyed. It makes me really sad to think that I'll probably never again visit the Tabernacle for a concert.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this post gave me chills. Your description of the acoustics at the Tabernacle are exactly perfect. I will miss it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!