Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Aging

I was chatting with Kenzie (Colt's little sister) this morning and she pointed out that when Harper receives her wish letters, we will be old. Kenzie was amazed to think she will be 39. Imagine how I felt to think that I'll be (let me brace myself for it this time) 47. That's right. 47 years. 47 birthday candles.

Forty. Seven. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound any less "old" when spelled out.

I've actually had this on the brain lately. Not turning 47 in 18 years specifically, but the whole aging concept in general. Now I know myself. I know that I'm a perfectionist. I know that I'm incredibly (and often overly) self-critical. I know that wrinkles, gray hair, and the other changes that come with age aren't going to pass without notice on my part. In short, I'm going to experience numerous, possibly countless, breakdowns if I don't prepare myself now.

Fret not, my friends. I've got a plan. It includes 10 mini plans/goals that I intend to complete before I'm 30. No, I'm not sharing the list with you. Just know that some of the items would probably surprise you (like some elective surgery I plan to have... wink wink) and others would seem almost impossible considering how busy my life already is (I plan to revive an old study). Some are simple and some are costly (in time and currency). I've spent a lot of time formulating my freak-out avoidance list and I'm confident that I can see it completed in the next three years. Combine that with my resolve to NEVER wear sweater sets or listen to FM 100 and I should greet 30 (and 40) with relative calm. I'm excited to check each item off as I become a wiser, healthier, and hopefully happier (and yes, older) woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!