Wednesday, August 25, 2010

This was one of my favorite stories when I was little (I still have most of it memorized). The rhymes and pictures were so perfect: cute and comforting at the same time. It is just the type of book I'd love to read to Harper. Unfortunately, my nieces and nephews scribbled in my copy. I was in Jr. High when it happened and I still cried upon discovering the blue pen marks. I always thought I'd just buy another copy when the time came. Well, with Harper's birthday approaching, I thought that the time had in fact arrived... until I learned that the book is out of print and I can only purchase it from a private seller for the small price of $100....($100?!? Yes, you read correctly). I'm flabbergasted. This book NEEDS to be on Harper's shelf next to Fancy Nancy, Dr. Seuss, and Where the Wild Things Are. 

I'm left with nothing but questions. How/why does such a wonderful story go out of print? Why didn't I just keep my defaced copy? Did I love the book enough to pay $100 for it now? Should I just check it out from the library, "loose" it, and pay the $10-20 they would charge for my "mistake"? Do I compromise my pocketbook or my conscience for this piece of childhood nostalgia or do I just say forget it and find a new bedtime book for my baby? 

I'm just kidding about the library, by the way. They don't carry the book. I already checked. 

1 comment:

  1. I just have to say I love your blog you are so fun to read! I love your big words. i don't know you just know how to pull people into your life and make it so interesting to read! you should really be a writer or something!! your little girl is so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!