Saturday, October 11, 2014

15 Things I've Learned From My Dad

Most of the lessons that I learned from my dad came through example. He has never been one to give a lot of advice or spout a lot of information out at people, even though he is one of the most well read and knowledgable people I have ever met. I have watched and learned from him my entire life and will always be grateful for the example he was, and always will be, to me.

1. Read the classics. As many as you can. More than once.

2. Be humble. Not everyone you meet needs to know if you are smarter, more successful, or even a better golfer than they are.

3. Be loyal. Especially to your family.

4. Be generous to your family and friends.

5. Have an open mind. (I was always grateful to have a dad that wasn't from the community I grew up in. My dad was raised in a pretty rough part of Los Angeles with pretty rough bunch of Italians- his dad, an Italian immigrant, was a homeless newsie who became a professional boxer and went on to own a liquor store. Before marrying my mom, my dad lived and worked in Las Vegas, and from what I gather, had quite a good time doing so. I'm pretty sure he has seen a number of things he doesn't want to share with me (me being his innocent and naive little girl and all... ha ha) but that didn't keep him from teaching me to be open minded. He taught me that the world is a lot bigger than Payson, Utah, and encouraged me to learn about it and see as much of it as possible.)

6. Don't choose a job that will merely pay your bills. Choose a job that will make you happy. (This is one of the bigger lessons my dad taught me and one that I am so thankful for. My dad is the reason that I can feel completely okay with my decision to run a daycare or preschool. He is the reason that I worked so hard to become good at the piano so that I could work as teacher. The thing I love most about this lesson is that my dad lived it. My dad loved his work and put incredible amounts of energy and passion into it. He was happy with his choice of work, which probably made his 13-14 hour days at the golf course a lot more bearable.)

7. Don't let anyone walk all over you. And if someone tries, kick them to the curb (his words, not mine).

8. Don't speak like someone from Utah.

9. Mormons aren't the only good people in the world. (This lesson was especially helpful when I was a little girl and thought that anyone with a tattoo was headed straight to hell).

10. Family always comes first. Even before yourself. Even if you're tired. Even when you want to punch them in the face.

11. Hard work is the only choice if you want to like yourself at the end of the day.

12. Patience isn't necessarily a virtue but it is necessary if you would like to stay married.

13. Being right isn't always the most important thing, even if you are, in fact, right. Sometimes (most times, actually), it's best to keep your mouth shut. (Confession: I'm still working on this one.)

14. Don't leave the house looking like a slob. Ever. Get up, put on some nicely ironed clothing, and then leave the house. Appearance isn't everything but looking like someone who didn't just roll out of bed is important.

15. You don't have to be someone's biological family in order to be their family. (This is the big one. The one that makes me tear up every time I think of it. This lesson is one that my dad has been teaching me since I was a little girl spending weekends, weeks, months, years, and eventually a lifetime, with him. I've never felt like I wasn't his. I've never felt like an adopted child. I've never had to question his love. It's always been there and I know that it always will be. The thing I really love is watching Harper get the same unwavering love from him.)

I took this in August during our yearly Tuacahn (confession: I STILL have to look up the word Tuacahn every time I use it). I just love these two together.

Did you dad teach you any good lessons? If so, what are they?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!