Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Another List

I promise to love you for who you are.
I promise not to push my beliefs on you. 
I promise to read to you every day until you tell me to stop.
I promise to never take my feelings/moods out on you.
I promise to treat you as my equal.
I promise to answer all of your questions. If I don't have an answer, I'll find it.
I promise to help you find and achieve your purpose in this life.
I promise to introduce you to music and to help you find your own song.
I promise to be your biggest fan.
I promise to introduce you to and help you love God.
I promise to let your faith develop in its' own way. 
I promise to stand by you at all times.

If you've been around for a while, you will remember the above list. It's a list of promises that I made to Harper before she was even born. Every time my mom comes to town, I'm reminded of the list and it's importance is reiterated for me. Whether that is a good or bad thing... well, that's my business. 

Anyway, I've recently been working on another list- a list of things that I want for Harper. Here is the list thus far...

I want her to know that I love her- that I was crazy in love with her from the moment she was born.
I want her to know that all I want is the best for her. 
I want her to know how to be happy under any circumstance- to understand that happiness is a state of being, not a mood. 
I want her to be comfortable in her own skin. 
I want her to learn how to never doubt herself. 
I don't want her to feel like she can't talk to me about something just because I'm her parent. 
I want her to know that I'm not perfect and that I'm okay with that.
I want her to know that I will love an accept her no matter what. 
I want her to know that my beliefs don't have to be her own. 
I want her to understand the difference between religion and spirituality. 
I want her to know that I don't know everything and that's okay. 
I want her to know that a fun day is more important than a clean house.
I want her to know that she should think, think, think before she speaks.
I want her to know that it's important to love and accept everyone, no matter who they are. 
I want her to know that if she feels the inclination to judge someone, she should learn more about them first. 
I want her to know that faith and science can exist in harmony- that they work together to make the experience of life amazing. 
I want her to know that she is a miraculous being of light- that science and spirituality came together to make her life possible. I want her to appreciate this and to remember every single day that she is a miracle.
I want her to know that life is an amazing experience only if we make it one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment. I love comments!