Friday, June 22, 2012

The Beauty Aisle: Dirty Hair Introduction

Before we begin this first post in my Dirty Hair series, we must take a moment to remember my Armani sunnies. Last night, these beauties died a sad, ugly death (it was a true accessory tragedy) and today I'm beyond bummed. I loved these glasses so much because they were super lightweight (hooray for no nose pad marks!) and unbeliveably comfortable (I could wear them for hours on end). RIP my little sunnies. You were the sunglass love of my life.

P.S. I've been trying for months to find another pair of these and it seems that they don't make them anymore. Boo to that.

Anyway, let's talk about dirty hair. I love dirty hair. It looks and feels better. It's better for your hair, the environment, and your pocketbook. Here is my hair, five days dirty (the pic at the first of this post... the one with my now deceased sunnies... well that was my hair with six days of dirty).

You already know that I hate washing my hair. I wash my hair about every five days. I haven't always been like this. I used to wash every single day (what was I thinking?) because I couldn't handle a little sweat or grease. Now that I'm used to dirty hair, I love it and will never go back to over washing.

A lot of people ask me how I manage to go five days without washing my hair so I thought it would be fun to do a little Dirty Hair Series. I'll be posting a hair pic everyday for the next five days and giving advice on keeping your dirty hair clean and cute.

Today is day six and I'm just getting ready to do an olive oil treatment (Misty: rub olive oil on your hair- all over or just on the ends- and then pull it back and put a shower cap on- only if you want to look super cool- and then let it sit for 20-30 minutes while you have a dance party or eat a cookie- or three- and then, wash it out... easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?). Once it's sat on my hair for a good half an hour, I'll shampoo and condition. Then, the Dirty Hair Series will officially begin.

For today, let's talk about why I love not washing my hair. There are a number of reasons...

1. It helps keep my hair healthy. Shampooing, along with all of the heat styling that usually follows it, is really drying for your hair, even if you are using a good product. My hair is already on the dry side because it's processed. The less I shampoo, blow-dry, and flat iron/curl my hair, the better.

2. It saves me money. Dry shampoo is much cheaper than Pureology and silk serums. My shampoo/conditioner/serum lasts me way longer because I only use it once or twice a week. I buy shampoo every 8-9 months. True story.

3. It saves me time. Instead of being stuck in my bathroom shampooing, conditioning, drying, and styling, I'm free to do other things and I promise you that a dance party with Harper or a chapter of a good book is way more fun than fixing my hair.

4. The less I wash it, the better my hair looks. Dirty hair styles better and holds curls/waves longer (using a satin pillowcase helps here, too). I always like my hair better on day five than on day one. Always.

So, let's get started. I'll wash my hair today and over the next five days, I'll offer you product, styling, and other dirty hair tips. Remember, I'm not a professional hair stylist and am in no way an expert in the world of hair. I've just learned a few things along the way and want to share them with you.

Sound good?

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited about this, hope to get lots of tips from you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you work out while not washing your hair for 5 days? I mean hard core cardio sessions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can hardly wait for the tips. i always give up around day three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sah-weet! I've been wanting to see this in action from someone I trust for beauty advice :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment. I love comments!